From lockdown to college: Clement’s story

In spite of the many disappointments of COVID-related lockdowns, the reality is that if they hadn’t happened, Clement likely wouldn’t be studying at Trinity today.

Clement grew up in a Christian home and came to know Christ gradually over the course of his childhood.

“As a kid I read some books about giving my life to Christ and prayed a prayer, but I wasn’t sure if I was saved,” Clement explains. “One day in my teens, a school librarian asked me if I was sure and I said no. So he led me in the sinner’s prayer, and that’s when I consider I was saved.”

Clement works full-time as a project manager. It was during the pandemic in 2020 that he gained a newfound desire for God’s Word.

“I was able to spend more time with God early in the morning instead of travelling to work,” Clement shares. “By the end of the year, I had developed a thirst to know God’s Word at a deeper level.”

That thirst to go deeper led Clement into a search for options, and during that search he found himself contemplating Bible college for the first time.

“Looking back, it was God leading me one step at a time,” Clement says. “I chose Trinity because, after the thought popped into my head, I started looking at different Bible colleges. I didn’t know which one to pick, so I talked to one of my pastors and he recommended I look at Trinity. So I spoke to the Trinity staff, one thing led to another and I ended up here!”

Clement is now studying part-time, one night a week—and he’s loving it.

“I have enjoyed studying God’s Word at a deeper level, which was the original reason,” Clement explains. “But I also enjoy being with people who have chosen to take on theological studies and are committed to Christ and following Him. The lecturers have been great and are caring people. Even the experience of praying as a group right before taking exams is a fantastic reminder that I’m not pursuing just any academic studies, but this is about the Kingdom.”

While his experience of theological study has been overwhelmingly positive, Clement does admit that the life-work-study juggle can be challenging.

“Because I’m doing the studies whilst working full-time, balancing work, family and studies is the greatest challenge,” he says. “The lectures each Tuesday night are fine, but adding on work for assignments and preparing for exams can be tough.”

Clement is grateful for the way God has been at work in and through him during this time.

“God has taught me not only the meaning of His Word at a deeper level, but given me the ability to study the Bible on my own,” Clement says. “He has changed my heart to pursue him more and to surrender everything to Him.”

That surrender includes any plans for the future. At this stage Clement isn’t sure what might be in store for him, but he’s open to the idea of full-time ministry and praying for wisdom. For now, he’s making the most of this season at Trinity.

“The lecturers are first class and they teach great content. It’s a place to deepen faith and be amongst like-minded people who can encourage you in your walk with Christ.”

Back To Top