Only the gospel brings true transformation: Aidan’s journey to ministry

Aidan Smith worked as a Community Engagement and Development Consultant when he felt a growing conviction to help people know the gospel and turn to Jesus. Deciding that committing his life to this cause was paramount, Aidan soon enrolled at Trinity Theological College (Trinity).

Born in Tasmania to a Christian family, Aidan was primarily raised in Perth. However, it wasn’t until his first year at the University of Western Australia, studying Civil Engineering and Design, that he began to grasp the full significance of the gospel. Here, he encountered others taking the Bible and Jesus seriously.

Aidan says several factors led him to stop working and start studying at Trinity, including leading on a CRU camp and realising that only the gospel truly brings transformation. 

Deciding to study at Trinity

Aidan’s decision on where to study theology boiled down to two main factors:

1. Where can I entrust myself, confident that they will rightly point me to Christ and guide my understanding of God and his Word?
  2. Where will provide me an environment to study alongside others who can encourage and support me for a lifetime of ministry?

“I’d seen older Christians go to Trinity before me and could attest to both of these, making the decision clear.”

Aidan is in the final year of his three-year degree and will graduate with a Masters of Divinity. Studying the Bible has opened his eyes and heart to new and fascinating things he hadn’t considered before.

“I’m continually blown away by the depths of God’s Word. Even familiar passages reveal new and fascinating aspects of Jesus. This humbles me as I realise how much I don’t know,” he shares.

“I think it’s also given me great confidence in God’s power to work through his Word, despite my weaknesses. I can work hard to point people to Jesus, knowing God is faithful to draw people to himself and build them up in him.”

Aidan is also currently working as a Student Minister at Providence City Church, providing him with opportunities to learn from other ministers and staff members. 

“This has been really helpful in not just giving me a staff team to train me and chat through things with, but also being given opportunities to serve, train, preach, and do ministry alongside others, which has been incredible,” he says.

Challenges and support

Aidan is married to Jess, and they are parents to 10-month-old Riley. Aidan says that being a parent and studying poses challenges and rewards.

“The transition from full-time work to full-time study is never easy, so we’ve had to figure out new routines and patterns that work well for us as a family. Our son being born in the middle of my degree added another layer of complexity (but also joy!),” he shares.

One particularly memorable moment for Aidan was when his son Riley was born, just before Aidan was scheduled to sit his exams. Riley had significant health concerns in his first few months of his life, which added a layer of complexity to Aidan’s studies. Despite this challenge, the staff and lecturers at Trinity were incredibly supportive and accommodating to his family’s needs.

“I deferred some of the exams, but not all of them. We didn’t know how long it was going to go on for, and I figured it would be better to just get them done, even if it was just to pass,” Aidan shares. 

Of particular note was when Riley needed to undergo an urgent procedure on the same day as Aidan’s ethics exam, and so he reached out to his lecturer to explain the situation.

“The lecturer was incredibly supportive of us and took the time to check in regularly, pray with and for us, and made the whole process of shifting the exam as stress-free as possible. The care of the whole staff team meant a lot to us during that time.” 

This experience highlighted the genuine love and dedication shown by the staff and lecturers at Trinity. 

Aidan believes that Trinity is an excellent place to study the Bible. 

“If you’re seeking a place with world-class teaching, a strong commitment to ministry, and opportunities for deep discussions with both staff and students, all within walking distance of a dozen cafés – then Trinity is for you!” he concludes.

Back To Top