Rev Dr Donald West retiring as Principal of Trinity Theological College

After 21 years in the role of Principal, and 28 years at Trinity Theological College, Rev Dr Donald West has announced his intention to retire as Principal with effect from 31 December 2024.

“My time at the College has been a tremendous privilege,” says Don. “I was drawn to the College from parish ministry with a longing that God would raise up many more men and women for effective Christian service. In partnership with others, and by his grace, God has begun to answer this prayer.”

Don took over leadership of Trinity from its founding Principal Dr Allan Chapple, and says, “I was very fortunate to inherit a simple and compelling philosophy of ministry training – a very rich treasure indeed. The model we have is gospel-shaped, Bible-based, Christ-centred, people and ministry focused.” With family members of graduates regularly among the student body, the training model has stood the test of time. “It’s always tempting to do something new and different, but by God’s grace, and by the companions I’ve got who share these convictions, we have kept these elements central.”

Early in Don’s tenure Trinity moved into its building in Leederville, ‘Trinity House’, which Don is pleased has become “one of the hubs of evangelical Christianity in Perth”. Within the building and beyond, students, graduates and the broader Christian community are united through the work of Trinity in shaping theological thought and ministry practice in Perth and regional Western Australia. Overall, Don’s leadership has seen Trinity’s faculty grow with gifted teaching staff across all areas of Bible, theology, ministry and mission.

Trinity students report extremely high satisfaction with their experience at the College, a fact that brings Don great joy. “The Australian College of Theology, our accrediting body, told us last year that our students, independently surveyed, said that this was the best College in Australia! Our students valued their student experience at 100%. I’m looking for improvement this year, but I think that’s pretty good!” Don jokes.

As well as welcoming people in, under Don’s leadership Trinity has also excelled at sending people out. There are hundreds of Trinity graduates working in ministry around the world, and thousands more serving in their local churches, better equipped for volunteer ministry having completed certificate-level studies and attended Trinity events and conferences.

Don has made his decision to finish up at the end of the year with prayerful wisdom. “There’s never a perfect time to leave an organisation, there’s always more you can do, but God is in charge of the College and always has been,” he says. “I’m content with how the College is going and content to be leaving. I will depart thanking God that our graduates are serving Christ and his gospel in churches and other ministries throughout our city, state, and world.”

Murray Thornhill, Chair of the Trinity Theological College Council, says, “We are all extremely grateful to the Lord and to Don for his many years of dedication and service.  I think of the College’s impact on my own pastors and those who have mentored and pastored my family in recent years, and I know that is multiplied thousands of times over across churches in WA and far beyond. I am sure that we all have similar stories to tell.”

The search for Don’s replacement is underway, with Murray Thornhill to chair a search committee made up of men and women affiliated with the College recognised for their godliness and wisdom.

Don hopes that his replacement will be a person who takes hold of the legacy of Trinity that will be passed down to them – a person who similarly recognises the treasure that this is, and who is thoroughly committed to the College’s evangelical and reformed doctrinal convictions, to its training model for gospel-shaped ministry, and to the power of prayer.

In retirement, Don hopes to continue his connection with Trinity, supporting its staff, students and graduates. He is also looking forward to increased time to serve at church, digging into his hobbies (including learning classical guitar, playing golf and exercising!) and most importantly, spending more time with his wife Athena and their children and grandchildren.

Don will certainly be missed at Trinity, for his wisdom, his commitment to God’s Word, and his friendship, as well as for his sense of humour and the liveliness that he brings to the faculty and campus.

Don says he will also miss Trinity, especially the team of committed faculty members and support staff who make the work of Trinity possible and enjoyable. “I thank God for my past and present colleagues on the faculty and staff – men and women dedicated to Jesus and to the spread of his Name,” Don says. “I will miss being with you.”

We look forward to more times of celebration and thanksgiving of Don’s tenure over the coming months. Please pray for wisdom for the search committee as they seek a new Principal, and for an excellent final year for Don as he finishes.

Back To Top