Mining for meaning: Strengthening faith in the face of doubt

Tim Bartholomew decided to start studying theology for slightly different reasons than most. It was actually during a season of significant doubt in his faith that Tim chose to delve in and deepen his knowledge of God, a decision he is grateful to have made.

Tim grew up in a Christian home. He remembers giving his life to Christ at the age of 11 or 12, and he says that God has been “ridiculously persistent and gracious” to him as he’s navigated through life.

A season of doubt leads to a new direction

For the past three decades Tim has enjoyed his work in the mining industry. It was only after a particularly challenging period for his family that he added part-time theological study to the mix.

“I don’t think I was at risk of giving away my faith – or maybe I was,” Tim reflects. “But I was certainly going through a period of really significant doubt and challenges, so I ended up going to Trinity as a way of saying, ‘Well, let’s take it seriously. Let’s try and really deepen my knowledge rather than run away.’”

That was at the beginning of 2022. Tim has been attending classes one night a week as he fits his study around full-time work, and he’s really enjoying it.

“One of the highlights for me is just seeing the way the lecturers bring not only content, but also a pastor’s heart to what they’re doing,” Tim explains. “Watching how they interact with us, the grace they show, and also the passion they have for the gospel, for truth, and a robust understanding of what’s being presented.”

When it came to choosing a theological college, Tim says it wasn’t a tough decision. A number of people at Kallaroo Anglican Church, where Tim and his wife are involved, have strong connections to Trinity.

Balancing work, study, and family life

The most difficult aspects of study for Tim so far has been getting his head around study skills and learning to manage his time. Because he’s an engineer by trade, learning how to study theology has been a real shift. The orientation sessions when Tim first started were particularly useful.

“Old heads, like mine, that are used to doing things the same way for a long time struggle with that sort of stuff sometimes,” he laughs.

But it hasn’t all been a struggle. Tim can already see how his study has really grown him.

“Just the improved context and knowledge of how the Christian faith all holds together, and learning a framework to help read the Bible has been really beneficial,” he says. “And I think to the extent that it pushes you to the Bible – God uses that to help strengthen my faith.”

The joy of learning

In his current involvement at church, which includes leading a home group and playing guitar with the music team, Tim can see how his theological study has been a real gift. He says he has an increased sense of awareness of the limitations of his knowledge – and that’s a good thing. As for the way God has used formal study through his season of doubt, Tim is full of gratitude.

“It’s been something that helped me through what was a fairly turbulent period,” he reflects. “And so I was very grateful for that. Grateful for the opportunity just to go along and have time to try and dig really deeply into Jesus and the gospels or biblical theology. It has been really, really beneficial.”

According to Tim, time spent studying at Trinity wouldn’t ever be wasted, regardless of the motivation behind it.

“You’re spending time in God’s Word, being led through it by people who love Jesus and love His people and are trying to build up,” Tim says. “And I just think it’s a tremendous opportunity. Whether you’re in the workplace, in the home, or in some form of formal ministry, I think there’s value in the study.”

Back To Top Click to access the login or register cheese